Puppy Proofing Your Home
Folks who have had babies in their homes know about making the home
safe for children. Here are some things you can do to make sure your home
is safe for your new puppy.
- Secure electrical outlets and cords. Everything goes in puppy's
mouth.....that's how they learn about the world. Make sure electrical cords
are secured to baseboards or inaccessible to the pup. Puppies chewing on
wires can suffer electric shock burns or die.
- Keep medication bottles or cleaners out of the puppy's way, secured
in a closed cabinet. Child proof does not mean puppy proof containers
because puppies can chew through the bottle.
- Keep your puppy away from toxic plants, both in and out of the house.
Here's a list of known harmful plants that can cause illness from mild
to deadly. Autumn crocus, Azaleas, Bleeding Heart, Buttercups, Castor bean,
Daffodil, Dutchman's Breeches, Elderberry, Foxglove, Golden Chain, Hyacinth,
Iris, Japanese Yew, Jack-In-the-Pulpit, Larkspur, Lily of the Valley,Mistletoe,
Narcissus, Oleander, Poinsettia, Rhubarb, Rhododendrons, just about any
kind of bulb and beware those peach and cherry pits!
- Use pesticides and rodent poisons with caution and make sure that
the puppy cannot get to them. Rat baits are sometimes mixed with grains
and can be attractive to pets. Same with boxes or plastic packages.....puppy
could try to play with them and ingest the contents!
- Don't invite other dogs over to your house unless your puppy has
had all his vaccinations If friends do come over make sure their are
folk who are meticulous about the health of their pets!
- Don't leave cigarettes or butts on the table or in the ashtrays.Puppies
could eat them and get nicotine poisoning.
- Watch out for Christmas ornaments. Broken Christmas balls can
lead to nasty cuts.
- Don't leave candles burning where puppies can touch them. Puppies
are curious creatures and can get burned.
the toliet lid down if you use cleaners.They may be alkaline and tempting
for the puppy or dog to drink.
- Dispose of bones so that puppy cannot get to them. Puppies will
attracted to the smell in the trash can and ingested bones can be deadly.
- Don't leave sewing needles or pins out. Something else for those
nosy pups to put in their mouths!
- Antifreeze is out of reach and drippings are cleaned up immediately!
Sweet tasting antifreeze is deadly to pups.
- Be careful not to use flea collars, dips or other preparations on
pups under 15 weeks. Check with and follow your veterinarian's recommendations
for flea control on young dogs.
In case of an accident, have your veterinarian's
phone number posted by the phone!
Contributed by Sandra Fikes-Kalahari
Ridgebacks. Edited for beagles by Ruth Darlene Stewart.
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page