PROSPECTIVE OWNER QUESTIONNAIRE
Breeders who are concerned with the welfare of their dogs and their
breed will ask you many questions? Some of these questions may seem intrusive,
but good breeders will basically give you the third degree. Please don't
be offended, just understand that we are trying to make sure both the dog
and the owner are well-matched and happy with each other. Each breed has
its own distinctive good and bad traits and breeders need to work diligently
to place each puppy or adult dog into the right home. Pet or show, dogs
are made for unconditional love. All good breeders just want each dog to
get the best home possible and for each to get the love and care they deserve.
If a breeder DOES NOT ask questions of you and just wants your money, don't
buy from that breeder. Many rescue orgainzations will ask many of these
same questions, they do not want to do rescue-they do it because it is
needed. Don't buy from pet shops, puppy mills, or back yard breeders.
Here is a sample of a Prospective Beagle Owner Questionnaire.
- How did you get my name?
- How did you decide on a beagle?
- Do you realize the financial commitment involved with owning a dog?
- Do you realize that your dog, at some point, will destroy something?
- Why are you purchasing a beagle and what are your expectations?
- Do you want pet quality or show potential?
- What age, sex, or color do you prefer? Why?
- Have you owned a beagle before?
- What happen to that beagle?
- Do you have a fenced yard?
- What type of fencing?
- Do you own or rent your home?
- If renting are there restrictions concerning pets?
- May we phone your landlord to verify this?
- Could someone visit your home for a house and fence inspection? If no--why not?
- Do you neighbors close by?
- Do you have other pets?
- Who is your veterinarian and may we contact him for references?
- Where will your beagle sleep?
- Where will your beagle stay during the day?
- How do you feel about crate training?
- Do you have children?
- What ages are your children?
- Who will be the primary caretaker of the beagle?
- Is anyone at home during the day?
- If you want a show potential puppy, who will show the dog?
- Have you shown dogs before?
- What titles have you earned with other dogs?
- If you purchase a pet quality beagle would you consent to a spay/neuter
agreement? Why or why not?
- Do you plan or enrolling the beagle is any training classes?
- Are you agreeable and understand that this beagle returns to the breeder
if you are unable or unwilling to keep it?
- When you go on vacation where will your beagle stay?
- Have you travel with a dog before?
- Do you plan on hunting with your beagle?
Please remember that these questions are not to offend just to place
the right beagle with the right owner. Purchasing or adopting a dog is
just that-ADOPTION of creature with needs and feelings.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy
or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon
is to be back in eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."--Milan